Plan Your Visit
We are open seasonally from May 15th to October 13th
Wednesdays through Sundays (Closed Mondays & Tuesdays)
Opens at 11:00 am – Last Tour at 4:00 pm
109 Old Stone House Road, Brownington Village, Vermont View Map
The Old Stone House Museum and its collections are by guided tour, self-guided tour or by virtual tour. On-site tours begin in the Twilight House, located across from the Museum, and usually last 60-90 minutes. Only the first floor of the museum and the two barns are accessible by wheelchair. Please note that the museum tour includes three flights of old wooden stairs. Chairs are available for resting throughout the building.
The virtual tour is available anytime by selecting ‘Visit’, then ‘Virtual Tour’ from the navigation bar above.
On-Site Guided or Self-Guided Admission
College Students (With ID) $8.00
U.S. Military Veteran $8.00
Youth (Ages 5-17) $5.00
Child (Under 5) Free
Family Day Pass (2 Adults & Kids under 17) $25.00
Active Duty Military FREE
Brownington Resident FREE
Museum Members FREE
AAA Members $8.00
Orleans County Resident $8.00
Historic Village Guided Tour $15
Saturday at 12:30 & 2:00, or by appointment
Self-Guided Grounds Walk $10 Donation
Includes access to 1st floor of Museum, the Heritage Arboretum, the Twilight Gallery, the apiary, the barns & the Historic Recreation Trail (coming soon!)
About the Old Stone House Museum
The Old Stone House Museum opened in 1925. Alexander Twilight (1795-1857), the first African-American to graduate from college and to serve in a state legislature, completed construction of the massive four-story granite building in 1836. The building originally served as the Orleans County Grammar School dormitory until the 1860s. Inside its thirty rooms are exhibits that tell the story of Orleans County, Vermont. This includes furniture, paintings, tools, textiles, folk art, and all the stuff of everyday life. Some noted items in the collection include Rufus Porter wall murals, a Civil War-era congressional desk, a small Mormon relic from Vermont, and the always popular “phantom baby” portrait on the top floor. Two barns display antique agricultural items, horse drawn transportation, maple sugaring equipment, and more. Our grounds are the perfect place to plan a picnic and no visit is complete without a walk to the observatory at the top of Prospect Hill.