Samuel Read Hall House
The Samuel Read Hall House is one of the six early nineteenth century buildings in the Brownington Historic District, which also includes the Old Stone House Museum. Built in the Federal style in 1831 by George West, Esq., it was for 21 years the home of Samuel Read Hall, inventor of the chalk board, founder of the first teachers’ training school, and author of the first teachers’ training manual in the United States. Samuel Read Hall also taught at the Orleans County Grammar School. Purchased in 2006, the Samuel Read Hall House is now available to rent for events, like wedding receptions and family reunions. The Museum uses the building during educational events for classes and exhibits.
The Samuel Read Hall House is now available for wedding receptions and other functions. Visit our Weddings/Functions page, or click here, for pictures and prices.
For Samuel Read Hall’s biography, click here.